Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is documented as much as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article may not be updated yet.
Step 1: Create your ZenMate account here: https://account.zenmate.com/en_US/signup
Step 2: A ZenMate subscription will be needed too: https://zenmate.com/order/
- Access your DD-WRT Router dashboard from your preferred Internet Browser software.
*The default access address is: http://192.168.1.1 but it will differ if you have assigned a different one to your router.
Click on Setup > Basic and choose Automatic Configuration - DHCP in the Connection type drop-down menu.
Under Network Setup > Router IP and Local IP address, fill in the IP that you wish to assign to your router (instead of the default one, should such a change will be needed but otherwise this step can be skipped).
After purchasing a subscription, access your on-line account: https://account.zenmate.com/en_US/login
You will need to configure a device under My Devices and choose the Linux icon to generate the credentials that need to be implemented in your router interface(dashboard). Select Create Login Credentials and choose CREATE:
With the new pop-up window showing, the following choices need to be made:
- Protocol: Choose between OpenVPN, IPsec, L2TP and PPTP(whereas in this tutorial the choice OpenVPN is demonstrated)
- Country: This will be the country where your new IP will be showing as being from
- Server group: Choose between the preferred choice TCP or UDP.
The Username and Password that will be generated for you will be the ones that need to be copied in the router interface, so please have them copied too or simply keep the page opened(for later use).
Once the choices are made simply choose: Download Configuration which will download a ZIP File containing 4 documents:
Access again your router interface(dashboard) and head to Services > VPN and from the bottom of the page choose Enable next to Start OpenVPN Client.
Once the feature is enabled, the interface will display more choices to fill in:
- Server IP/Name: Fill in with the server address that was generated for you in your ZenMate account
- Port: 443
- Tunnel Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP (depending on the preferred choice selected when generating the configuration from your ZenMate account)
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256 CBC
- Has Algorithm: SHA256
- User Pass Authentication: Enable
- Username: The Username that was generated when adding the device
- Password: The Password that was generated when adding the device
- Advanced Options: Enabled
- TLS Cipher: None
- LZO Compression: Adaptive
- NAT: Disable
- IP Address: leave blank
- Subnet mask: leave blank
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500
- Tunnel UDP Fragment: 1300
- Tunnel UDP MSS-FIX: Disable
- nsCertType verification: Leave it unchecked
TLS Auth Key: Leave blank
Additional Config: Open the folder where the ZIP file was downloaded and extract the contents of the ZIP. Once the 4 files are visible, open the openvpn.ovpn file with a text editor:
- Once open, select the passage from 'resolv-retry infinite' to 'comp-lzo' and right-click > COPY the selected text and with the text copied, please paste the text back in the router dashboard and choose PASTE:
Policy based Routing: leave blank
PKCS12 Key: leave blank
Static Key: leave blank
CA Cert: In this box please copy all of the text found in the 'CA.crt' file.
Public Client Cert: In this box please copy all of the text found in the 'client.crt' file.
Private Client Key: In this box please copy all of the text found in the 'client.key' file.
Click on 'Save' and then on 'Apply Settings'.
With all of the above information filled in and configured in your router dashboard, the final steps can be approached:
Click on Administration and choose Commands:
In the 'Command Shell' field, input the following commands (from this article, select all commands beginning with 'iptables' > copy):
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun1 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i tun1 -j REJECT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun1 -j MASQUERADE
Right-click in the 'Commands' box > PASTE > click on 'Save Firewall'. With this change, please wait up to 2 minutes for them to be effective.
A router reboot will be needed so head to 'Administration' > Management > scroll all the way down and click REBOOT ROUTER.
Each time you set a different country, rebooting the router will be mandatory.
Lastly, restart your browser once the router is rebooted. Your new IP can be observed within any IP test website, such as: https://www.iplocation.net/