You can find your account and app settings in the upper right side of the interface as shown below.
The "My account" Tab
This will provide you with basic information about your account, username, expiry date, current plan and a few helpful links to open the account management dashboard and also log out in case you choose to do so.
The "Settings" Tab
The Settings tab has two tabs: General and Connection.
The General tab is where you can choose startup settings, auto-connect settings, language settings and kill switch settings.
The Connection tab has more advance connection settings related to the used protocols, ports, DNS and IPv6 Settings. It is recommended for advanced users or contacting our Support team before making changes here.
- VPN protocol: Choose between the VPN protocol to be used. In general all secure protocols running under Windows are available, which are at the moment OpenVPN, L2TP and IKEv2 (PPTP is missing, because it can't be considered as safe anymore). L2TP and IKEv2 are native Windows programs and provided by Microsoft, while OpenVPN is a free software (under GNU GPL) and is provided by OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. If set to 'Auto' the client will activate IKEv2 (all Windows versions beginning with Windows 7) or L2TP (Windows Vista). In case no successful connection can be established the client will switch to OpenVPN.
- Use TCP instead of UDP (available for OpenVPN only): By default ZenMate uses UDP for its connections, which allows higher speed due to its less restrictive data checking procedures. The downside: Downloads can be suddenly interrupted or corrupted and packages can get lost, e.g. when playing online games. TCP stands for more stable connections, but lower speed due to more precise data checking. Please activate this option, if your Internet connection suffers from unstable traffic or if a provider blocks or slows down UDP connections. Note: This option is only effective, if using the OpenVPN protocol, which allows both different connection variations.
- Use random port to connect (available for OpenVPN only): This option allows ZenMate to establish its connections through a randomly chosen port (which will be changed with each new connection), instead of a fixed port that makes it easy for providers to slow down or block ZenMate connections. The used port range can be changed anytime if needed. All ports are secured internally by Firewall rules. Note: This option is only effective, if using the OpenVPN protocol.
- DNS Leak protection: Activated, this option forces your system to use the ZenMate Domain Name Server (DNS) instead those of your Internet provider. (A DNS takes care of the correct access to an address. For example, if you enter 'www.zenmate.com' in your browser, he sends your wish to a DNS, which translates the address into numbers. Only then the connection can be established. This also means that a DNS has complete control over the accessibility of each web address and therefore is the perfect tool for censors. When using the ZenMate DNS servers you avoid this kind of manipulation.)
- Disable IPv6 connections when NOT connected to the VPN: To avoid data leaks provoked by IPv6 traffic running outside the safe VPN tunnel, when using a WebRTC leak vulnerable browser, activate this option. It blocks all IPv6 traffic on the network card and allows only IPv4 traffic.
- Repair virtual network card: If you experience driver problems (e.g. after installing a different VPN) use this function to repair the original drivers installed by ZenMate.