Please note that the Desktop Client will not open like a usual program. Instead, it will go directly to the right side of the menu bar, either close to the internet icon or hidden with the Softwares running in the background. Here are some general workarounds you could try in case you experience issues with the VPN client for Windows.
- Log out of the Client and log in again
This will force a re-authentication which can resolve minor issues.
- Install a fresh copy
- Search out and delete the folder called:
C:\Users\<Enter your Windows username>\AppData\Local\ZenMate.
This is the folder where ZenMate configuration files live.
- Download the latest version of the software by copy/pasting this URL into your browser address field and press enter:
- Reinstall ZenMate and try again
- Allow ZenMate on Windows Firewall
- Search for Windows Firewall on the search section of the Start menu. Click on it.
- Look at the options and find Allow an app or feature
- Check if ZenMate is on the list.
- If not, add ZenMate to the list by clicking on Change settings and then Allow another app.
- Recreate the Network Adapters
Log out from the VPN client and close it. Then go to your network sharing centre and check for the Network Adapters. Remove/delete the ZenMate connection. Once this is done, start the client and log in again.
The ZenMate connection should be automatically recreated.
- Make sure the Drivers are up to date
- Activate the ZenMate VPN client and try to connect.
- When it fails to connect, open the Control Panel and in the "Search Control Panel" field, type: "Device Manager".
- Once in Device Manager, look into "Network adapters", the failing miniports should have a yellow exclamation mark icon next to them.
- Right click on each marked miniport, then "Update Driver Software" -> "Browse my computer" -> "Let me pick driver from a list" -> uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and wait for drivers listing generation. Then pick the first "Microsoft" drivers listed [BlueTooth Personal], and ignore warnings. The broken and undeletable miniport will then become a fake Bluetooth card, which you will be able to delete.
- Repeat step 4 for all miniports.
- Reboot the system.
- When trying to connect the VPN client next time, all miniports will be recreated and the VPN should be connecting successfully.
- Switch your Network connection
Change between cable network and WiFi and restart your router.
- Install ZenMate on a new Windows user
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.
- Enter a username, password, password hint, and then select Next.
- Install ZenMate on the new User
- Check for local network restrictions
ZenMate does not work properly behind some web filters or other Proxies/VPNs. If you are using ZenMate e.g. at your workplace or school, it might be that they have a general filter. Try again while connected to another unrestricted network to test if this is the cause of your troubles.
It also sometimes happens that Antiviruses and web filters conflict with ZenMate. Try turning your Antivirus/Firewall off.
Also, see: Article - ZenMate in restricted environments
- Completely uninstall and reinstall ZenMate.
Remove every trace of old versions of ZenMate from your computer. In this article, we go through it step by step: Article - How to completely remove/fresh install the Desktop Client for Windows.
- Get in touch with ZenMate Support
Please keep in mind that every Windows device is different from the other. Therefore, please include the following information in your message to support:
- Which real country you are connecting from.
- Which ISP (internet service provider) you are using, and if this is your private home network or a public/work network.
- If you are using any other security products, such as an antivirus program or another proxy. And if so, which one/s.
- The exact version of Windows you have installed, and if you updated your old Windows to this version or if your device came with it.
- A screenshot of how it looks on your device when you experience this issue. (You can find everything there is to know about taking a screenshot via this link: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ )