Here are some general workarounds you could try in case you experience issues with the VPN client for Windows.
- Log out of the Client and log in again
It is a very simple step you definitely should try first.
Similar to a restart of a device or a connection, a new login refreshes ZenMate and fixes minor issues.
- Turn off web filter, antivirus/firewall and other proxy/VPNs
ZenMate does not work properly behind some web filters or other Proxies/VPNs. If you are using ZenMate at your workplace or school, it might be that they have a general filter. Try again while connected to another unrestricted network to test if this is the cause of your troubles.
It also sometimes happens that Antiviruses and web filters conflict with ZenMate. Try turning your Antivirus/Firewall off.
If the problem is due to a conflicting security software, please contact ZenMate Support for more info and possible workarounds.
- Reinstall the Client by...
... uninstalling, and downloading and installing the VPN client again by copying and pasting this URL into your browser address field, start the download by clicking enter:
Recreate the Network Adapters
Log out from the VPN client and close it. Then go to your network sharing centre and check for the Network Adapters. Beside others, there should be a ZenMate connection. Please remove / delete it. Once this is done, start the client and log in again.
The ZenMate connection should be automatically recreated.
- Make sure the Drivers are up to date
The issue could be that the drivers on your device aren't up to date. Please try the following steps:
- Activate the ZenMate VPN client and try to connect.
- When it fails to connect, open the Control Panel and in the "Search Control Panel" field, type: "Device Manager".
- Once in Device Manager, look into "Network adapters", the failing miniports should have a yellow exclamation mark icon next to them.
- Right click on each marked miniport, then "Update Driver Software" -> "Browse my computer" -> "Let me pick driver from a list" -> uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and wait for drivers listing generation. Then pick the first "Microsoft" drivers listed [BlueTooth Personal], and ignore warnings. The broken and undeletable miniport will then become a fake bluetooth card, which you will be able to delete.
- Repeat step 4 for all miniports.
- Reboot the system.
- When trying to connect the VPN client next time, all miniports will be recreated and the VPN should be connecting successfully.
- Get in touch with ZenMate Support
Please keep in mind that every windows device is different from the other. For quicker and more precise support, please include the following information:
- Which steps/workarounds you tried so far.
- What kind of issues you are having, e.g:
- Unable to download or install the client
- Unable to log in or connect
- Unable to access certain pages or programs